Barnardos (Republic of Ireland) is a Company Limited by Guarantee (CLG), registered at 4 Christchurch Square, Dublin 8.
This privacy statement outlines how Barnardos manages the information you provide, while you use this site, in compliance with data protection legislation.
Type of information we collect
The type of information we collect may include personal data which identifies you or can be used to identify or contact you. This includes name, postal or email address, telephone number and other contact information you provide on our online forms. Such information is only collected from you if you voluntarily submit it to us via our website.
If you make a donation or a purchase on the website you will be asked to provide your credit/debit card number, we do not receive these details, they are encrypted using Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL Software”) and are transmitted directly to our payment providers Worldnet (Donations) and Global Payments (Shop purchases).
If you set up a direct debit donation we will require your BIC and IBAN numbers.
If you join our library service we will also keep a record of your borrowings from the library.
How and why we use the information you provide
We process the personal data you provide to us for the following purposes:
- to process your donation;
- to market to you according to your preferences;
- to register your interest in and communicate with you about
- our services
- our campaigns and advocacy work
- our fundraising events and activities
- our training courses/ workshops and our publications
- our volunteer opportunities
- our conferences and other Barnardos events and programmes
- to fulfill a purchase you make on our online shop;
- to process your job or volunteer placement applications;
- to process your request for research application;
- to respond to your queries and information requests;
- to register you as a library member and communicating with you about your membership;
- to register your subscription to a mailing list(s) and eNewsletter(s);
You can unsubscribe from our mailing lists and eNewsletter at any time, by clicking on the ‘update preferences or unsubscribe’ link at the foot of the email, this link appears on every eNewsletter we send out.
- to respond to any feedback you provide or a complaint you make;
- to conduct research and analysis to monitor the performance of our campaigns, appeals, events and products.
Barnardos will process your personal data based on the following grounds:
- Your consent – where processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent
- Where it is necessary for the performance of a contract;
- Where it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation which Barnardos is subject;
- Where it is in Barnardos legitimate interest to;
- administer and record your donation and to keep a record of your relationship with us;
- provide you with information about any fundraising activities or campaigns that you have agreed to take part in;
- provide you with information necessary for any training, workshop or event you sign up for;
- assess employee and volunteer applications and recruit employees and volunteers;
- follow up with your queries;
- assess our fundraising activities.
Barnardos does not carry out automated decision making. We analyse the outcomes of our fundraising campaigns, appeals and engagement with you. This allows us to understand how our campaigns work, enables us to make appropriate requests from you and ensure that communications with you are relevant. We also carry out research on publicly available data to understand our different types of donors to support our fundraising strategy.
You can opt out of your personal data being used for this type of analysis by contacting our Donor Support Team (email: email@example.com) or our Data Protection Executive, contact details below.
Job Application Data
All documentation received by Barnardos in relation to job applications will be processed in accordance with Data Protection legislation. The information will only be used by Barnardos for its legitimate interests, in the processing of job applications and for ongoing administrative purposes with job candidates. If you are offered a job by Barnardos this information will be added to your employee file, otherwise it will be retained for a year from close of the application process.
How long will Barnardos retain your personal data?
Barnardos holds personal data for a range of time periods, these are guided by our statutory requirements for certain data (e.g. financial records, employment records or health and safety records), our contractual obligations and our business and risk management requirements.
Disclosure of information to third parties
We will not trade your personal details with third parties.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Third parties such as Worldnet, Global Payments, Koha Library Management System, MailChimp, Eventbrite, Typeform etc., to allow us to process your donation or purchase and/or provide you with the service you have signed up for.
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site
- Where we are required to disclose it in order to comply with any applicable law, a summons, a search warrant, a court or regulatory order, or other statutory requirement.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with anonymised, aggregated information about our users. For example we may use your email address to create a Facebook Custom Audience or a Lookalike Audience. This enables us to show you Barnardos content when you visit Facebook. We provide your email address to Facebook to enable them to determine if you are a registered account holder with Facebook. We may also use your email address to create a Lookalike Audience, where targeted ads are sent to people on Facebook who have similar characteristics to people on our Custom Audience list. For Facebook Custom Audience and Lookalike Audience your email is sent in an encrypted format that is deleted by Facebook. There are two ways to prevent this use of your data, you can either contact Barnardos, see details below or you can do this via Facebook, see https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217. Updating your preferences will not guarantee that you never see Barnardos content on social media, since the social media site may select you based on other criteria and without your data having been provided by Barnardos.
Where data is transferred to another party, we ensure appropriate technical and organisational safeguards are used to protect your personal data.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. In order to safeguard your information we will make any such transfers in strict compliance with data protection legislation with all appropriate contractual arrangements (Privacy Shield, Binding Corporate Rules, or Model Contracts) will be in place. By submitting your personal data for such purposes, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. Barnardos will take all reasonable steps necessary to ensure that your personal data is processed securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Your personal data is held on a secure server hosted by our hosting service provider, Blacknight. The nature of the Internet is such that we cannot 100% guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us via the Internet to be secure. However, once we receive your personal data we take all reasonable technical and organisational measures to protect personal data from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction and to prevent any unauthorised or unlawful disclosure or processing.
As you use this website technical details in connection with visits to this website are logged by our internet service provider for statistical purposes. No information is collected that could be used by us to identify website visitors. The technical details logged are confined to the following items:
- The IP address of the users webserver
- The top-level domain name used (for example .ie, .com, .net, .biz)
- The previous website address from which the user reached us, including any search criteria used.
- Click screen data which shows the traffic of users around this website (for example pages accessed and documents downloaded).
- The type of web browser used by the website user.
Right of access to and updating or deleting your personal data
Under data protection legislation you have the following rights;
- The right to be informed
- The right to access information
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to data portability
- The right to object to the processing of personal data
- The right of restriction
- Rights in relation to automated decision making, including profiling
In order to exercise your rights please put your request in writing to the manager of the project you are attending or to our Data Protection Liaison – firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint to the office of the Data Protection Commission.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding this privacy statement or your personal data using the information below:
Data Protection Liaison, Barnardos National Office, Christchurch Square, Dublin 8, D08 DT63
Phone: (01) 453 0355
This Privacy Statement will be the subject of change, please check our website frequently to see recent changes.